Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Should I Text or Should I Call?


Personally I like communicating with most people through computer-meditated communication technologies, there probably are two people who I prefer communicating with through face-face communication which is my Fiancé and my mom. I like communicating with most people like my friends through computer-meditated technology because to me it is much more convenient. There are times when I am at work or in a noisy area and I am able to communicate with my friends better than talking on the phone or even seeing them in person and having a conversation with them. Also because sometimes there are just things that you want to say, but would be inappropriate to actually say it out loud so by communicating through computer-meditated communication technologies that makes it a bit easier. I prefer communicating face-to face or even on the phone mostly with my Fiancé and my mom because most of time when I do talk to my Fiancé is while he's at work and I'm mostly traveling home from work or school. Its much more convenient to for me to talk to him this way because there is no way he would be able to text while he is working. As for my mom it just makes more sense to talk to her on the phone because we have brief conversations and if I wait for her to reply to a text I would probably have to wait about a good 10 minutes. I also rather speak to both of them face-to-face because I can get all of their attention when I'm talking to them and they usually get on my nerves when they don't pay attention to me. 

I believe that Sherry Turkle means that sometimes people get so caught up in their phone that they don't realize all the good things that is going on around them. Sometimes people forget how to actually communicate with one another because they have become so attached to those little devices. There are times when I go out to dinner and I see couples or even families with their kids just sitting there on their phones and it bothers me when I see that because these kids probably don't even know what its like to actually have conversations with their parents or siblings and its a damn shame. I totally agree with Sherry because people become so into the social media, snap chat, texting etc. and they just forget what’s going on around them. I have to agree I use to be that way too, but because of my Fiancé he made me realize that there are more important things around me, that I don't need to have my head buried into my phone all the time. 

I think I only prefer to text than to talk because of the convenience it is to me, I feel that if I had more time and my schedule met with my friends and people that I mostly text I would rather talk to them face-to-face. Yes, I do believe that I can carry on a meaningful face-to-face conversation for more than 15 minutes because I probably do that at least once a month mostly with my mom and my Fiancé, but I know I can do it. I’m big on talking things out no matter what it is because I rather someone speak to me and say what they have to say to my face and the meaning of the same words that you would text would mean so much more. Yes, it does bother me that we are sacrificing real human communication because I feel like the less human connections we have we end up becoming dehumanized and we sometimes end up loosing out on good times and good people simply because we just would not put our phones down.  



1 comment:

  1. Hi Rebecca

    This catchy title grabbed my attention and in reading your post I do agree with your views. I too prefer to communicate face-to-face with loved ones like my mother and so on. I consider those the important talks and they need to be said not read. Also I do agree that there are times when a text just cannot be avoided such as when the person is busy working etc. Oh and I like the picture at the end. I wonder, were you face-to-face with that sign, or did you find it through computer-mediated technology?

    ReplyDelete